17 October 2007

Mitt Romney is right about the Bible

It's boring!

Here's what Romney said about it:
I find myself having to read for an hour or so before I can fall asleep. And thanks to the Gideons, I've got good material.
Yes, Mitt is right about that. The Bible is boring. So boring, in fact, I've considered adding it as a separate category at the SAB. Try reading 1 Chronicles sometime. Now that's good Romney bedtime reading material.

But Mitt should give the Book of Mormon a try when he has trouble sleeping. Here's what Mark Twain said about it:
The book is a curiosity to me, it is such a pretentious affair, and yet so "slow," so sleepy; such an insipid mess of inspiration. It is chloroform in print. If Joseph Smith composed this book, the act was a miracle--keeping awake while he did it was, at any rate.
Try the Mitt Romney bedtime test yourself.

Which do you think is more boring?


8 comments:

Australian Atheist said...

That's religion's problem. Not only is it fabricated, it is boring fabrication.

If the lies don't get you, the boredom will.

Unknown said...

wow.. maybe you should start halfway through the new testament.. or at the last book.. Thats where all the excitement is at!

Elbeau said...

Clever little quip you found here...but seriously, read it in context and it is clear that he likes reading before bed and is glad that the Gideons provide bibles in hotel rooms...Although I can't help but get a chuckle at how it seems to come across :)

Clyde Wyman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tabby said...

There is that tired old cliche I've seen from too many atheists and agnostics, "It's not the 'Good Book' but it's a good book," and sadly I used to prattle off that nonsense myself. No, it's not a particularly good book. There are some decent stories in need of a good editor and a decent rewrite though.

William said...

I like your blog.

Get a load of this guy -

http://loosetncanon.blogspot.com/2007/11/tn-senate-candidate-women-in-leadership.html

findingfeathers said...

Most of the time, when I experience something "boring," it means I don't understand it. Attempt to read spiritual scripture with a search for underlying meaning and you will find that the Bible, whether you believe it or not, is some of the most fascinating and layered literature on the planet.

C Woods said...

I was complaining at work one day that I couldn't fall asleep the night before. One guy suggested I read the Bible ---he meant it to be something that would comfort me. I thanked him for suggesting something that would bore me into slumber. But the guy was deeply offended, so I reminded him of the begat verses (as suggested by another commenter above.) For as long as I can remember, my family read a chapter of the Bible out loud before dinner, starting with Genesis and ending with Revelation, then starting over. But even my highly religious parents were smart enough to skip the begat chapters so we wouldn't all doze off and end up with our faces in the soup.